Bali is so popular among travelers. It really feels like heaven on earth. This Indonesian island has so much to offer: beaches, temples, waterfalls, volcanoes, rice fields, great restaurants and bars, etc. However, you need to plan your trip accordingly, Bali is a huge island. In fact, deciding where to stay in Bali can make or break your trip. You really need to choose your base carefully. Which is why I wrote this guide listing where to stay in Bali, list the best hotels in Bali and the best areas in Bali!
Seminyak is one of the best areas to be based in. It’s central, the beaches are great, it has many accommodations options and if you’re into shopping, you’ll find there numerous boutiques selling everything from clothes to souvenirs. Moreover there are great restaurants, and the nightlife is nice there, less trash than Kuta.
Where to stay in Seminyak
- Luxury: Ize Seminyak. This hotel is well-located and offers affordable prices. There’s a roof terrace with a pool and bar, but also a wellness center with a spa. On-site restaurants offer Oriental and European fusion food. The rooms are clean and spacious.
- Mid-range: Dash Hotel Seminyak. It’s a well-located colorful hotel. It features an amazing rooftop terrace, a pool, a spa and a gym. The rooms are comfortable and include flat screen TVs, minibars and electric kettles. Plus, the staff is friendly and accommodating.
- Budget: Grandmas Plus Hotel Seminyak. It’s a nice budget hotel just five minutes away from the beach. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is kind, polite, attentive and friendly. It’s possible to book a massage on the 5th floor.
- Find all the Seminyak hotels
Ubud is the cultural hub of Bali. A quiet, relaxing area where you’ll come across waterfalls, temples, volcanoes, monkeys and rice fields. Moreover, for anything spiritual in Bali, you should stay in Ubud: meditation, yoga, medical therapies, wellness retreats, etc. It’s also the cultural heart of Bali: museums, art galleries, markets, etc. No wonder Ubud is one of the most popular places in Bali. Here are things to do in Ubud!
Where to stay in Ubud
- Luxury: Four Seasons Ubud. You must stay there if you’re looking for a luxury hotel in Ubud. It features an infinity pool, four dining options and a gym. You can stay in luxury suites or private villas. Moreover, the views from the rooms are amazing.
- Mid-range: Alaya Resort. This hotel is located in the heart of Ubud, amidst the rice fields. It offers a fitness center and an outdoor pool. All the rooms come with a flat screen TV and a private terrace. They’re spacious and clean. Plus, the staff is very helpful!
- Budget: Sunshine Vintage House. A great option if you’re traveling on a budget. It features modern and spacious mixed dorm rooms, and a superb breakfast is included. The owners are really nice and make sure everything is ok during your stay. A welcoming place!
- Find all the Ubud hotels
I’m not the biggest fan of Kuta, but it’s one of the most popular places to stay in Bali. It’s famous for surfing, its stunning sunsets, and perfect for party animals. It’s home to numerous bars and clubs. Kuta is very popular among backpackers, especially Australians. Kuta is perfectly located not far from the Bali airport. Here are things to do in Kuta.
Where to stay in Kuta
- Luxury: Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort. This luxury hotel offers beautiful infinity pool views of the ocean and sunset. There are two on-site restaurants and it’svery close to the Beachwalk Mall. The rooms are decorated in a contemporary Balinese style which is very charming. Don’t miss it!
- Mid-range: Anvaya Beach Resort Bali. This hotel offers a mix of modern and traditional Balinese options. The staff is wonderful, the breakfast is great, the rooms are big and comfortable and the villa features a private pool. What else can you ask for?
- Budget: Cara Cara Inn. One of the best hostels for solo travelers of groups of friends traveling on a budget. There’s a super relaxed atmosphere, the rooms are comfortable and clean, the food is delicious and the staff is really kind.
- Find all the Kuta hotels
Surprisingly, Canggu is not as popular as Seminyak or Kuta, and definitely quieter. However it’s a really nice place, very central, home to rice fields, gorgeous villas, and surfer beaches. It’s home to cute cafes, trendy boutiques and great restaurants, Canggu is also a great spot for surfers, and very popular among digital nomads.
Where to stay in Canggu
- Luxury: Como Uma Canggu. It’s a modern luxury resort. You’ll find everything you need on-site: restaurant, spa, bar, swimming pool, etc. The staff is helpful, the food at the restaurant is amazing, the rooms are large, and there’s a kid’s club if needed!
- Mid-range: Aston Canggu Beach Resort. It’s a modern and spacious resort located on the beachfront, with panoramic views of the sea. From the rooftop pool, you can enjoy stunning sunsets. The rooms are contemporary and clean, and the staff is friendly.
- Budget: Kos One Hostel. It’s probably the best hostel in town. It features a huge swimming pool, spacious bunk-bed dorms and an on-site restaurant offering great food. The hostel is modern, with a trendy design. You’ll love it! And there are often activities to make sure people socialize.
- Find all the Canggu hotels
Sanur is a very relaxing place, perfectly suited for families who just want to hang out in their beach resort. Still, there’s a nice seaside promenade lined with bars, souvenir stalls and cafes. There are also nice spas and restaurants. A cool place to roam around by foot or by bike. Sanur is a great place to go scuba diving.
Where to stay in Sanur
- Luxury: Intercontinental Bali Sanur Resort. A nice luxury hotel very popular among families. It’s centrally located, close to cafes, restaurants and shops. The rooms are large and have breathtaking views, the staff is lovely and caring, the pool is huge and has two shaded areas… You’re gonna love it!
- Mid-range: Sudamala Resort. This hotel is five minutes away from the beach and offers modern Balinese-style rooms. It features an outdoor pool, a spa, a library and business center. On-site restaurants serve Balinese cuisine and barbecued delights. The rooms are stylish, you’re gonna love them!
- Budget: OYO 401 the frog homestay Sanur. It’s a great budget option! It’s well-located and all the rooms come with AC, a flat screen TV, a coffee machine, a fridge, a shower, free toiletries and a desk. The hotel is quiet but super close to the main street and the beach. The rooms are clean and comfy, and the staff is helpful
- Find all the Sanur hotels
Uluwatu is famous for its beautiful cliffside temples and monkeys. It’s home to many luxury resorts and villas. Uluwatu is a great spot for surfers who want to be challenged with some serious waves. But Uluwatu is also home to pool clubs, bars, restaurants and cool shops.
Where to stay in Uluwatu
- Luxury: Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort. This luxury resort offers view of the ocean from all angles and contemporary Balinese style rooms and villas. From your room, you get direct access to a balcony with jacuzzi and an infinity pool. The rooms have everything you need: TV, minibar, etc. The hotel organizes daily activities: yoga, ceramic making, etc. You’re gonna love it!
- Mid-range: Renaissance Bali Uluwatu Resort. It’s a nice, modern resort surrounded by hills. You get incredible views of the jungle and the ocean from the rooms and the infinity pool. The resort features a spa, a fitness center and a restaurant serving Asian cuisine. The rooms have all the facilities needed.
- Budget: Padang-Padang Inn. It’s a great budget option. It features a large outdoor pool and a spa center. You can rent a car or hire a bike, and there’s also a gift shop, a cash machine and luggage storage. The rooms are very comfortable.
- Find all the Uluwatu hotels
If you’re into water sports, you should definitely go to Nusa Dua. You can enjoy activities such as parasailing, diving or snorkeling. Nusa Dua is a great place for families, with many all-inclusive resorts featuring a children’s pool and water slides. It’s also home to some of the most romantic hotels in Bali. It’s the perfect place for honeymooners. You can enjoy lavish cocktail parties and nightly shows in Nusa Dua.
Where to stay in Nusa Dua
- Luxury: The St. Regis Bali Resort. This luxury resort is 2 minutes walk from the beach. It features a full spa, a sauna, a fitness center and an outdoor lagoon pool. The food is great, the service impeccable and the rooms are comfortable and clean.
- Mid-range: Sadara Boutique Beach Resort. This resort offers a blend of traditional Balinese and modern decoration. All rooms have ocean views and balconies overlooking a tropical garden. The resort features a delicious beachfront restaurant and provides a free shuttle service to shopping options at Nusa Dua City. The rooms are spacious, you’re gonna love them!
- Budget: Alindra Villa. A nice budget option where you’ll stay in a spacious villa, fully furnished with a private terrace overlooking the landscaped gardens. It’s very clean and quiet and you get a small welcome tropical fruit basket.
- Find all the Nusa Dua hotels
Another quiet area perfectly suited for couples, surprisingly under-visited. The beach is nice and since Jimbaran is a fishing village, it’s known for its delicious seafood. Each afternoon, the beach becomes packed with tables and chairs, and couples can enjoy a romantic dinner at sunset along the beach with wandering musicians, traditional dances and fireworks. Plus, Jimbaran is not far from the Bali airport.
Where to stay in Jimbaran
- Luxury: Four Seasons Jimbaran. You know you’re gonna have a nice stay when you stay at a Four Seasons resort. It offers Balinese-style villas surrounded by lush tropical gardens. Each one of them has a private outdoor pool. The resort also features 3 dining options, and you can take cooking classes, go to the gym, enjoy the spa, etc.
- Mid-range: Watermark Hotel & Spa Bali. Great value for your money! It features an outdoor rooftop pool, an on-site spa, a fitness center and a kid’s club. There are also two on-site restaurants serving Japanese and international cuisine. The rooms are spacious and the staff is friendly.
- Budget: 24/7 Bed & Breakfast. A great hostel, and super cheap! It offers dorm rooms but also private rooms. This hostel features a private parking, a restaurant, a fitness center and a terrace with a garden. The place is clean and the staff is easy to talk to.
- Find all the Jimbaran hotels
Now you know all the best places to stay in Bali! This island is one of the best places to visit in Indonesia!
- Traveling soon? Check out my travel resources page! This list of travel accessories can also be useful!
- Don’t travel without travel insurance! It will protect you against illness, injury, theft and cancellations. Click here to get one. Here’s why get travel insurance!
- Want a tailor-made trip to Indonesia? Get a free quote here!
- Always use a VPN when traveling. I use ExpressVPN and I love it! Here’s why use a VPN when traveling.