Some links are affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I earn a commission, at no extra cost to you.
Wanna know what to expect when traveling solo as a black person? This book is made for you!
Few people realize it, but as a black person, our skin color is an integral part of our travel experience. I really started realizing it when I traveled solo for a year.
Since I was getting more and more messages from readers asking advice about traveling as a black person, I decided to write a 200+ pages essay. I relate experiences black people in general go through when traveling. I share my own experiences, observations, and anecdotes. I also share experiences of fellow black travelers.
What you'll learn with this book
- Why we tend to do our research on Google regarding potential racism in a given country before getting there
- Why it seems like it takes longer for black people to go through immigration at the airport
- Why in some areas of the world, people want to get a picture with us, just because we're black
- Why our origins are sometimes questioned
- Why we're the subjects of prejudices, each more ridiculous than the next (rapper, athlete, prostitute...)
- What to expect when traveling solo as a black woman
- Why traveling is not the same for African citizens
- What to expect for black Westerners traveling on the African continent
- Why when traveling, we greet other black people we run into outside, even if we don't know each other
What readers are saying
"Overall I think it's a great essay. As a white woman from France, I learned many things from the first chapter. I think this book makes sense and gives a new vision to people like me, who never experience these kind of problems. Thank you!" Chloé
"I very much enjoyed reading it. I think this is a useful book, that many people can relate to." John
"You’ve made great points. I like your division of ideas in chapters. Altogether, it’s definitely interesting and should garner a strong readership." Regina
"Wow congrats for the essay! I'm impressed! I was captivated from the introduction! A great book, I'll heartily recommend it to my friends!" Megan
"Your essay is very interesting, I wish you success with your project. I learned many things that, as you point out, I would never have thought of!" Pat