Austin is getting so popular lately! It might be in Texas, but you’d be surprised how different it is than the rest of the state. Each neighborhood in Austin has a distinct identity and vibe, and there’s so much to do there. It has a great live music scene and delicious food. But where to stay in Austin? Finding a place to stay can be confusing. Which is why I wrote this guide listing where to stay in Austin, list the best hotels in Austin and the best neighborhoods in Austin!
This is probably the best area to stay in Austin for first-timers. There’s activity day and night, great restaurants and top attractions such as the Texas State Capitol Building, the Paramount Theatre and the Frost Bank Tower. You’ll always hear live music and smell delicious food in Downtown. Plus there are numerous museums and art galleries. This area is brimming hotels so you can get a good price for a nice room.
Where to stay in Downtown Austin
- Luxury: The Driskill. It’s known as the oldest operating hotel in Austin. It was built in 1886! When staying there, it almost feels like time traveling to the 19th century! Each room pays tribute to the hotel’s history. The hotel features a fitness center, an award-winning on-site restaurant and a bar with live music every night. The decor is great, the rooms are comfortable and the service is great! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Mid-range: Fairmont Austin. It’s a very popular hotel in Austin! Every major event takes place there! The hotel features the largest rooftop pool downtown and an on-site restaurant. The rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows, a luxurious bathtub and they’re nicely decorated. The staff is wonderful! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Budget: Firehouse Hostel. It’s a nice budget option in Downtown. It was built in a historic firehouse and it offers dorms and private rooms. The dorms’ beds each have their own power outlets and reading lights. They also have a nice common area and they offer free breakfast. Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Find all the Downtown Austin hotels
It’s a nice area with numerous funky boutiques, cafes, taco bars, international restaurants but also trendy hotels. South Congress (SoCo) is basically a revitalized shopping and dining district, with also countless graffiti artworks and murals. There’s also live music all over the area, the Continental Club hosts live performances but it’s also a local historical landmark. This area definitely has a fun artsy feel, and it’s a good place to stay for young travelers.
Where to stay in South Congress
- Luxury: Hotel Saint Cecilia. This is a fantastic luxury hotel! Each room has pool views, and the hotel features an outdoor swimming pool featuring six poolside bungalows. There’s also an on-site restaurant specializing in American cuisine. The rooms feature a seating area, a flat-screen TV, AC, a desk and a private bathroom. Don’t miss it! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Mid-range: South Congress Hotel. This boutique hotel offers stylish and spacious rooms with comfy bathrobes and luxurious toiletries. It features a rooftop pool, a fitness center, a terrace and six restaurants. The staff is amazing! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Budget: Quality Suites. It offers spacious suites with microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers, hair dryers, sofa sleepers, irons and ironing boards. There’s free breakfast but also a fitness center, indoor pool and hot tub. Good value for money! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Find all the South Congress hotels
East Austin is a really cool area, home to many galleries, independent stores, juice bars, taquerias, and also street art. It’s a great place to stay if you prefer a more local experience. The area is also home to interesting museums such as the French Legation museum or the George Washington Carver museum. East Austin is a mecca for artists and creatives, it has a high concentration of hipster hangouts. It’s also a cool place to stay for foodies. Plus it’s a walkable area.
Where to stay in East Austin
- Luxury: Heywood Hotel. It’s a really nice design-focused boutique hotel. The rooms are uniquely decorated and it almost feels like staying at a friend’s vacation home. Bicycles are available if needed and the rooms have a great minibar! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Mid-range: Arrive Austin. Staying there is an experience itself! When checking in, you get a free welcome drink and snack. The place is clean, comfortable and has just the right balance between luxury and casual. This modern place is well decorated and the staff is awesome! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Budget: DoubleTree by Hilton Austin-University Area. This is a comfortable hotel featuring an on-site restaurant, a stylish lounge bar, an outdoor swimming pool and a fitness center. The rooms are clean and spacious and the staff is accommodating. Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Find all the East Austin hotels
You should definitely stay there if you love the outdoors of if you’re traveling with your family. The Zilker Park covers more than 350-acres and allows you to have a nice picnic, fly kites, go hiking, biking or just enjoy the sunshine. You can rent kayaks, canoes and paddle-boards at the lake. In the area, there are also good restaurants and food trucks.
Where to stay in Zilker
- Luxury: Hyatt Regency Austin. This hotel offers access to hiking and bicycle trails as well as great views of the lake and Austin. It features a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, a fitness center and an on-site restaurant. The rooms are spacious and very modern. Don’t miss it! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Mid-range: The Carpenter Hotel. It features a restaurant, a private parking, an outdoor swimming pool and a bar. The rooms are bright and feature mini-fridges, balconies, and sitting areas. This place has a warm and homey feeling you’re gonna love. Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Budget: Extended Stay America Suites Austin Downtown Town Lake. It offers studios with a fully equipped kitchen (stovetop, microwave and a fridge) and free WiFi. There’s a free parking on-site and complimentary grab-and-go breakfast. Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Find all the Zilker hotels
Red River Cultural District
Red River Cultural District is a small area in Downtown filled with nightclubs, music venues, bars, and bistros. There are actually music venues all over the neighborhood featuring up and coming but also established artists. You’ll also find trendy restaurants and great venues for people who love the nightlife. It’s the liveliest area of Austin. 6th street is a popular area for party animals!
Where to stay in Red River Cultural District
- Mid-range: Hotel Indigo Austin Downtown. It’s a colorful and modern hotel where you really feel like home. It features a cool cocktail bar, a rooftop pool, a fitness center and you will enjoy a great breakfast! The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Mid-range: Aloft Austin Downtown. A good option for solo travelers but also couples who want to experience the local nightlife. There’s an on-site restaurant, a cocktail bar, a coffee bar and a mini market. The rooms are clean and modern. Great value for money! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Mid-range: Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown. It features an outdoor swimming pool and a fitness center but also a business center. The rooms are spacious and clean, the beds are comfortable and the staff is great! Click here to check the reviews, photos and availability.
- Find all the Red River Cultural District hotels
Now you know all the best places to stay in Austin! Feel free to check out my Austin travel guide! It’s one of the most beautiful cities in the US!
- Traveling soon? Check out my travel resources page! This list of travel accessories can also be useful!
- Don’t travel without travel insurance! It will protect you against illness, injury, theft and cancellations. Click here to get one. Here’s why get travel insurance.
- Want a tailor-made trip to the US? Get a free quote here!
- Always use a VPN when traveling. I use ExpressVPN and I love it. Here’s why use a VPN when traveling.
Leave a Reply