Budapest is one of the most popular cities in Central Europe! It’s divided into 23 districts. Buda and Pest were originally two cities separated by the Danube River. They were brought together to form Budapest in 1873. Today, most people live on the “Pest” side, the dynamic heart of the city. The “Buda” side is the historic quarter of the city.
There’s no best area to stay for tourists. And with 23 districts, finding where to stay in Budapest can be a tedious and overwhelming task. Which is why I wrote this guide listing where to stay in Budapest, list the best hotels in Budapest and the best neighborhoods in Budapest!
It’s on the “Buda” part of the city, and you’ll find there cobblestone streets, ancient houses and views over the river and the Hungarian Parliament Building. This area is home to several museums, numerous cafes and good restaurants but also famous tourist sights: the Royal Palace, Matthias Church and Fishermen’s Bastion. Even though it’s filled tourists in the daytime, this area is very quiet at night. A nice area if you prefer to stay in a luxury hotel, or visiting Budapest on a romantic trip.
Where to stay in the Castle District
- Luxury: Hilton Budapest. An amazing 5-star hotel with a great design! It’s in the heart of the Castle District and you’ll enjoy great views of the city! The hotel features a fitness center, a sauna and you can even get a massage. The beds are comfortable and the staff is very helpful and friendly.
- Mid-range: Monastery Boutique Hotel. Another nice hotel in the Castle District, very close to Fishermen’s Bastion. Rooms include a desk, flat-screen TV, a private bathroom, air conditioning and a wardrobe. They also offer a delicious buffet breakfast!
- Budget: Ekszerdoboz A Budai Var Alatt. This one is actually not a hotel, but an apartment for an affordable price! It has free WiFi and a garden with a terrace and river views, but also a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom.
- Find all the Castle District hotels
You’re literally in the heart of Budapest. You’re not far from the Parliament, the moving Shoes on the Danube Memorial monument, and St Stephen’s Basilica. The major shopping district, Vaci Street, is also there. You’ll find a vast number of hotels for all budgets, cafes, bars, restaurants and souvenir shops right at your doorstep. It’s probably the best area to stay in Budapest for first-timers and families.
Where to stay in Belvaros
- Luxury: Aria Hotel Budapest. An amazing 5-star hotel you cannot miss! It features a design inspired by music, and it really feels like staying in a palace! There’s a rooftop bar with panoramic views of downtown Budapest, a spa center with a pool, saunas and a hammam. Their buffer breakfast is excellent, free coffee and tea are served with cookies and fruits during the day and there’s a free wine and cheese reception every afternoon.
- Mid-range: Prestige Hotel Budapest. Located not far from the Chain Bridge, it’s a well-priced boutique hotel. It’s housed in a former 19th-century townhouse. The rooms are comfortable, their on-site restaurant is great and the building itself is beautiful.
- Budget: Pal’s Hostel and Apartments. This hostel features dorms but also private rooms at an affordable price. It’s not far from the Chain Bridge. The staff is very helpful, they sell the Budapest card and can help you organize your activities and excursions.
- Find all the Belvaros hotels
This is the former Jewish district in Budapest and the most densely populated part of the city. You’ll find plenty of Jewish culture there: three beautiful synagogues, kosher restaurants, etc. This area is best known for its nightlife and all the ruin bars (bars in dilapidated buildings) with graffiti. Erzsebetvaros is home to an array of bars, nightclubs and hotels for every budget. Stay in Erzsebetvaros if you want to party, a lively atmosphere, mingle with locals and experience the best nightlife.
Where to stay in Erzsebetvaros
- Luxury: Anantara New York Palace. One of the best luxury hotels in Budapest! The service is top notch and it’s perfectly located next to numerous restaurants and ruin bars. The hotel is housed in a beautiful building from the 19th century. It has a spa area with a relaxation pool with hot tub functions. The rooms feature luxurious Italian furniture, silk wallpaper and Murano chandeliers. The on-site cafe is wonderful, don’t miss it!
- Mid-range: Continental Hotel. This nice hotel features a rooftop pool, a sauna and hot tub, a fitness room, and a traditional café and restaurant on site. The rooms feature modern decor, A/C, a mini-bar, and on-demand movies.
- Budget: Roombach Hotel. A great budget hotel in the heart of Budapest! It offers offers a 24-hour front desk, a lounge with a snack bar, and en-suite rooms with free AC and a flat-screen smart TV. The breakfast is great, the hotel is clean and the staff is friendly!
- Find all the Erzsebetvaros hotels
A great area if you’re a culture lover! It’s home to The Opera House, the Operetta Theatre, The House of Terror, the Music Academy, the famous Andrassy Avenue, and many other museums. Terezvaros is great for those who wish to stay closer to shopping and cultural attractions. It mixes touristy with residential, and there are many budget hotels there.
Where to stay in Terezvaros
- Luxury: Hotel Moments Budapest. A great luxury accommodation located on the iconic Andrassy Avenue, not far from the Opera House. The interior is beautiful and elegant, and you can enjoy views of the St. Stephen’s Basilica. The rooms are stylish, there are wellness facilities and an on-site restaurant.
- Mid-range: Barcelo Budapest. It’s an elegant hotel featuring an on-site restaurant, a bar, a nice garden, a fitness center, amazing rooms and concierge service. You can also enjoy a buffet or an American breakfast. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff is amazing.
- Budget: Sakuranbo Guesthouse. A simple but very cozy guesthouse which is perfect for those traveling on a budget. There are dorms as well as private rooms. A common kitchen is also available to prepare your meals. The staff is really nice, the place is quiet and it’s clean.
- Find all the Terezvaros hotels
Ferencvaros is mostly a residential area where a mix of young locals and expats live. It’s not centrally located so it’s cheaper and a great area to stay if you’re on a budget. There are numerous bars and restaurants and if you stay close to the Liberty Bridge, you won’t be far from Belvaros. Don’t forget to check out the Central Market Hall! Ferencvaros is a nice area for couples and families.
Where to stay in Ferencvaros
- Luxury: The Three Corners Lifestyle Hotel. This nice hotel is not far from the Central Market Hall. It features an on-site bar, a paid private parking, a terrace and a sauna. Each room is air conditioned and features a flat-screen TV with satellite channels. They also include a private bathroom. The staff is nice and the rooms are clean and spacious.
- Mid-range: Ibis Styles Budapest City. A stylish 3-star hotel with nice rooms, some of them offering river views. All of them feature satellite TV and a private bathroom, equipped with a bath and shower. A clean place, the breakfast is excellent and the staff is helpful.
- Budget: Meininger Budapest Great Market Hall. A great budget option! It features a terrace, floor-to-ceiling windows and it’s close to several well-known attractions. The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly and the rooms are comfortable.
- Find all the Ferencvaros hotels
It’s the art district of Budapest. You’ll find there several museums but also libraries, hospitals and universities. This district used to be called Chicago because it was rough and dangerous. But it’s not the case anymore, it’s completely safe to stay there. Here you’ll find a number of great ruin bars, casual eateries, hip shops, and stylish galleries. This area is suited for lovers of good architecture and history, but also travelers on a budget.
Where to stay in Jozsefvaros
- Luxury: Kozmo Hotel Suites & Spa. It’s an amazing luxury hotel! It features a restaurant, private parking, a fitness center, a bar and a terrace. The rooms feature a desk, a kettle, a safety deposit box, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom with a shower. A buffet breakfast is served every morning. You’re gonna love this place!
- Mid-range: The Three Corners Hotel Anna Superior. Great value for money! It features a nice on-site bar. Every room comes with a flat-screen TV with satellite channels but also a private open bathroom. The breakfast is good, the rooms are clean and the service is great!
- Budget: Vajda 15 Hostel Budapest. If you’re traveling on a budget, it’s a great option! The hostel is modern, clean and quiet. The kitchen is well equipped if you need to cook your own meals and the host is very helpful!
- Find all the Jozsefvaros hotels
Now you know all the best places to stay in Budapest! Feel free to check out my Budapest travel guide, and also my post about the Szechenyi baths in Budapest. If you spend some time in the country, here are the best things to do in Hungary!
- Traveling soon? Check out my travel resources page! This list of travel accessories can also be useful!
- Don’t travel without travel insurance! It will protect you against illness, injury, theft and cancellations. Click here to get one. Here’s why get travel insurance!
- Want a tailor-made trip to Hungary? Get a free quote here!
- Always use a VPN when traveling. I use ExpressVPN and I love it. Here’s why use a VPN when traveling.