London is probably one of the most dynamic cities in the world! There are always numerous things to do there! It’s a cosmopolitan city with numerous museums, restaurants serving food from all over the world, beautiful parks, pubs, cute markets, etc. Planning to go there? London is a big city, finding the right area to stay is not easy! Don’t worry, this guide will tell you where to stay in London, list the best hotels in London and the best neighborhoods in London!
Going to London for the first time? Staying in Covent Garden is a great option! It’s central and there are many attractions, covering everything from entertainment to history. Plus it’s well connected by metro. Covent Garden is home to numerous shows and musicals, many of West End’s best theaters are located in this area. You’ll also find many pubs, restaurants, markets, museums, stores and charming cobblestone streets.
Where to stay in Covent Garden
- Luxury: Covent Garden Hotel. Don’t miss this amazing 5-star hotel! This luxurious place features a fitness center and a treatment room offering massage and beauty treatments. The rooms feature an en suite bathroom, flat-screen TV and a minibar. A delicious breakfast is served every morning, and there’s also a stylish bar if you want to sip a cocktail.
- Mid-range: Strand Palace Hotel. This hotel has been around since 1909! It’s a chic hotel with clean and comfortable rooms, a great common area and an excellent restaurant! There are also two on-site bars. The staff is friendly and the buffet breakfast is great!
- Budget: The Z Hotel Holborn. Traveling on a budget but wanna stay in the heart of London? This hotel is a good option! It features AC rooms, a bar and a shared lounge. The rooms come with a desk, a flat-screen TV, a private bathroom, bed linen and towels. It’s a clean and tidy hotel. Great value for money!
- Find all the Covent Garden hotels
Wanna experience the London nightlife? You should definitely stay in Soho then! This is also the heart of London’s gay scene and where you’ll find independent designers and record stores. It’s home to tons of restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, theaters, and of course nightclubs. It used to be London’s red light district but overall is more family-friendly these days. Things have changed a lot since then and Soho is safe.
Where to stay in Soho
- Luxury: The Soho Hotel. This amazing hotel is perfect if you want to party all night long and at the same time treat yourself to a nice hotel. It features a gym with a personal trainer on-site, a cozy library, a beauty treatment room, a restaurant and a bar. The rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows, a TV and an en suite bathroom. Don’t miss the excellent breakfast, and also the afternoon tea!
- Mid-range: The Grand at Trafalgar Square. It’s located in a Victorian building next to Trafalgar Square. The rooms combine Victorian elegance with modern comforts, with a little touch of luxury. They’re spacious and clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
- Budget: The Z Hotel Soho. You’re in London, and in the heart of the city… Meaning even budget options are not that cheap! The Z Hotel Soho offers nice but simple rooms with a contemporary design. Breakfast is served every morning and all rooms feature hand crafted beds, a TV and an en-suite shower room with complimentary toiletries.
- Find all the Soho hotels
Kensington is a nice area to stay if you’re into history and culture. It’s home to many museums (Victoria & Albert museum, Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, etc.), art galleries but also the famous Harrod’s, an upmarket department and lifestyle store. It’s also close to Hyde Park and the regal Kensington Gardens. Kensington is a very British area. It’s one of the best places to stay in London for families.
Where to stay in Kensington
- Luxury: The Ampersand Hotel. This is a luxury boutique hotel next to the South Kensington station. Each room has a different theme and you get great views of London if you stay on the top floor. There’s a games room but also a drawing room where you can enjoy an afternoon tea. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the breakfast offers plenty of choice.
- Mid-range: The Resident Kensington. This 4-star hotel features rooms with AC, a TV with on-demand movies, a work desk and a private bathroom with a power shower. They also have a compact kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator and kettle. The rooms are cozy and the staff is really nice.
- Budget: Knaresborough Boutique Apartments. It offers self-catering accommodation with free WiFi in a historic Victorian building. Each apartment includes a TV and kitchenette facilities, with a microwave and a refrigerator, but also a private bathroom. Good value for money.
- Find all the Kensington hotels
Wanna stay in an area that isn’t overrun by tourists? You should stay in Chelsea, but FYI, it’s known as a posh area. You’ll find plenty of high-end boutiques and restaurants, but also colorful buildings. Chelsea is actually a residential area, but it’s also the fashion capital of London. If you’re into shopping, you’re gonna love here! Albert Bridge offers beautiful views of London, especially at sunset!
Where to stay in Chelsea
- Luxury: Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park. Located right on Hyde Park in Knightsbridge, this luxurious hotel features a two Michelin star restaurant and a spa. The rooms are elegant and nicely decorated with a marble en-suite bathroom. The staff is amazing, the breakfast is delicious and the service is excellent.
- Mid-range: Sloane Place. This is a nice boutique hotel with well decorated rooms. It features a bar, a restaurant and a terrace. You can enjoy a continental breakfast or a Full English breakfast. The beds are comfortable and the staff is friendly.
- Budget: YHA London Earl’s Court. It’s a really cool hostel located in a refurbished Victorian building. They have dorms but also private rooms. They serve a continental breakfast and a range of snacks throughout the day. They provide laundry services and luggage storage for guests. They organize lots of social activities so it’s easy to meet fellow travelers.
- Find all the Chelsea hotels
Shoreditch is a trendy, hip neighborhood of London, with a vibrant nightlife and an important art scene. It’s home to many bars, clubs, restaurants serving cuisine from all over the world, outdoor markets, vintage clothing stores but also street art. It’s one of the best areas to stay in London if you want to experience a different side of London. It’s less glamorous than other areas of London but you’ll experience London like a local.
Where to stay in Shoreditch
- Luxury: Redchurch Townhouse. A great luxury hotel in Shoreditch! It features a fitness center, a bar and an on-site restaurant serving Italian cuisine. A continental breakfast is served every morning. The rooms come with a private bathroom, free toiletries and a wardrobe. The beds are comfortable and the staff is helpful.
- Mid-range: Brick Lane Hotel. It’s a small one with only eight rooms. Each one of them comes with AC, a desk, a flat-screen TV, a private bathroom and a wardrobe. Their on-site restaurant serves delicious curry, don’t miss it! The rooms are clean and the staff is professional.
- Budget: The Z Hotel Shoreditch. This budget-friendly hotel was built into a former office building. All rooms have hand-crafted beds, a TV an en-suite shower room and toiletries. It’s minimalist but comfortable and modern.
- Find all the Shoreditch hotels
The City, sometimes called The Square Mile, is the financial heart of London and it has a 2000-year-old history. It bustles with professionals on weekdays but it’s very quiet on weekends. This is where the Romans founded Londinium in 43 CE. There are several good markets, hip cafes, shops and restaurants here.
Where to stay in the City
- Luxury: Four Seasons Hotel London at Ten Trinity Square. The Four Seasons never disappoints! This one is near the Tower of London and the Thames and has everything you would expect from a luxury hotel: two on-site restaurants, a spa, elegant rooms with marble bathrooms, a fitness center, etc. Don’t miss it!
- Mid-range: Citadines Barbican. It offers modern self-catering apartments, each with a TV, free WiFi and a private bathroom. The apartments also have a modern kitchen featuring a microwave and fridge. The apartments are simple, cosy, modern and clean.
- Budget: St. Christopher’s Liverpool Street. A good budget option. It offers mixed dorms, female-only dorms but also private rooms. The dorms are basic but they’re clean, and there’s a restaurant and a bar where travelers can mingle.
- Find all the hotels in the City
It’s in the north of London and it’s popular among backpackers and young Londoners. It has a student vibe and you’ll find there numerous live music venues, lively pubs, art galleries but also vintage and unusual shops. Camden also hosts several markets selling anything from eclectic clothing to gourmet street food. Many artists live there. It’s one of the best places to stay in London if you’re traveling with friends.
Where to stay in Camden
- Luxury: York & Albany. This nice hotel features a library, a bar where you can create your own cocktail and an elegant restaurant. The rooms are well decorated and include free WiFi, a TV and an en suite bathroom. The staff is fantastic and the breakfast is great!
- Mid-range: Holiday Inn London Camden Lock. This hotels offers comfortable rooms with AC and walk-in power showers in every private bathroom. The location is great, the hotel is clean and modern and the staff is friendly.
- Budget: Generator. This is Generator’s first hotel (they’re all over Europe now), and it’s located in an old police station. They have dorm rooms but also private rooms, an internet cafe, a lounge and a games room with pool tables. They organize activities on a regular basis so travelers can mingle.
- Find all the Camden hotels
Now you know all the best places to stay in London! Feel free to check out my London travel guide! Here’s a list of things to do in London in autumn! This city is awesome, it’s one of the best cities to visit in the UK!
- Traveling soon? Check out my travel resources page! This list of travel accessories can also be useful!
- Don’t travel without travel insurance! It will protect you against illness, injury, theft and cancellations. Click here to get one. Here’s why get travel insurance!
- Want a tailor-made trip to the United Kingdom? Get a free quote here!
- Always use a VPN when traveling. I use ExpressVPN and I love it! Here’s why use a VPN when traveling!